Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I like to be in America!

The online home of America magazine today features "How God Heals Sexual Abuse: An Interview with Author Dawn Eden." An excerpt:

What do you want readers to take away from your writings?

I want people to know that Jesus, in winning the victory over sin, has won the victory over all the sins committed by us and against us. This is true for each one of us. The good news is that the evil we’ve suffered or that we’ve done in the past no longer needs to define us. We are defined by our union with Jesus in his passion, death and resurrection. The victory of Jesus on the cross frees us from all of the wrong or self-hating ideas we may have acquired from our abuse or from our mistreatment of ourselves.

The interview also includes my thoughts on Pope Francis's meeting with abuse victims, news of the upcoming Thrill of the Chaste: Catholic Edition, and more, so do read the whole thing.

I am deeply grateful to Sean Salai, S.J., a summer editorial intern at America, for enabling me to share the message of My Peace I Give You with the publication's audience, and to David Paternostro, S.J., for recommending me to him.

And speaking of great Jesuits, if you are in the Washington, D.C., area on July 31, the feast of St. Ignatius Loyola, come to the Catholic Information Center as I speak on "Healing the Memory: What St. Ignatius Loyola and Pope Francis Can Teach Us."